Monday, July 16, 2007

Lemon and Dill


What a great combination! I bought some fresh Salmon at the market and was really excited to make it. I never make fish here because my husband and my daughter don't like it. So making fish for myself would mean making 2 dinners in one night. Definitely not something I'm interested in. But I wanted the salmon so badly, that I was willing to do it tonight. And I am so glad I did. I decided to make some chicken up for Rob and Maura, and I used pretty much the same seasonings for the chicken that i did for the fish.

I definitely don't have a recipe, since I just threw stuff together. Basically, I put the salmon on a foil lined, greased (well, i sprayed it with olive oil cooking spray) baking sheet, squeezed the juice of half a lemon on it, sprinkled a healthy amount of dried dill on, added some freshly cracked black pepper and sprayed it lightly with the olive oil spray. The piece of salmon I used was half of a fillet I had gotten at the market and it weighed about 6 ounces. I baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes. It was cooked perfectly for me, but I don't like my fish undercooked whatsoever.

As far as the chicken goes, I don't think I would cook it the same way again. The seasoning was fine, but it got dried out and I could tell Rob wasn't a big fan, even though he wouldn't say so. Although he wasn't feeling well today, so who knows! I did pretty much the exact same thing with the chicken. Foil lined baking sheet, juice of half a lemon, dill, salt and pepper. I cooked the chicken longer than the fish because undercooked chicken scares me so I sometimes go overboard. I'm still trying to think up a way to cook the chicken this way so it doesn't dry out so much.

For the couscous, I Just followed the package directions. I sauteed one small yellow onion in some olive oil until it was slightly brown. I added the couscous (and 8.8 ounce package) and browned that a bit. Then I added 2 cups of veggie broth that I had boiling on another burner. I also added garlic powder, salt and pepper, oregano, and basil. It definitely didn't need all that seasoning and next time i think I'll just cook it in the veggie broth because that seemed to give plenty of flavor.

All in all, it was a yummy dinner, and I will definitely be replicating the salmon again! The biggest accomplishment of the night was getting Maura to try fish! She really really liked it and demanded that I make it again really soon. Yay!!
(Sorry about the blurry pics. I'm working with a cell phone camera)

5 comments:

  1. that's great that your daughter liked it! it's wonderful when kids are willing to try new things. maybe now you can make fish for you and her more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm:) Salmon and dill work so well together! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like fish but DH loves it, I might have to make this some night for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some salmon in the freezer that I need to get out! I think I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is that israeli couscous? i love that and can't find it anywhere!
    help!

    p.s. nice blog!

    ReplyDelete