Monday, December 10, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!

I decided I was going to make my own birthday cake this year. I made the Hershey's Chocolate Cake for Maura for her birthday back in August and it was awesome. But this time I wanted to make it with the rich chocolate frosting instead of the light cool whip frosting I used in August. Plans changed, however, when someone pointed out that Nestle had a chocolate cake on their website that looked like it would be a pretty good contender against the Hershey's recipe.

Nestie living_insanity posted the recipe one day, and I decided that I had to try it. She recommended maybe doing a taste test to see which one is better. That would be fun and all, but I wasn't up to making 2 seperate cakes. It was my birthday after all. So I decided to just make the Nestle recipe and try hard to remember what the Hershey's cake tasted like.

I was blown away. This cake is so moist and rich and delicious. There are a few things that I did "wrong"/differently though. When I lined the baking pans with wax paper, I didn't grease/spray the wax paper. Big mistake. It doesn't say to do that in the recipe, but do it! The wax paper was a pain to get off. It was really stuck to the cake and it took me about 10 minutes to get it off without tearing my cake apart. Also, I used 2 9" cake pans, since thats what I have. I just reduced the baking time to 30 minutes and it turned out great.

Honestly, I don't remember the exact taste of the Hershey's recipe. So I don't think I can make a fair comparison. I will say that I know that this recipe is atleast just as good as the other. But I would need to taste them both at the same time to make a fair judgement. Anyone want to make me a Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Ckae so I can compare it to the leftover cake in my fridge???

Here is a link to the recipe on Nestle's website.

8 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!! Your cake looks soooooooyummy and moist and ....great...now I'm drooling. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum,yum,yummy!!! it was good~~ thanks for sharing said cake! Blessings, momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Kayte indeed!! That cake looks sinfully good.
    And BTW, I am the same exact way as you when it comes to comparing things. I need them both sitting down in front of me so I can take a bite of one then take a bite of the other. I have forgetful tastebuds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm chocolate cake! hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum it looks good! I hadnt looked at your blog recently to see the chocolate cake results. It looked beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had such a delish cake to celebrate with but...How did I not know it was your birthday? Bad me! And I know exactly the perfect gift. Can you guess? I bet you can.... Parchment paper! I went and checked the recipe and sure enough, it said wax paper. Still, when DOES it work?

    ReplyDelete

  8. Truely this is yummy. My family members loved it very much, So I make it again and again.
    I saw such beautiful cakes on the sites :
    Online Cake Delivery in Noida
    Online Cake Delivery in Delhi
    Online Cake Delivery in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete